I recognize that I have been selected to be a part of the DIGS Volleyball Club community. As a player my primary goal is to become the very best person I can be. I acknowledge the following commitments that are important for me to be successful on my team.
- Attitude. Volleyball is a mental and physical game. I will show up and participate as an athlete in ways that builds up the team. I will be positive, kind, and respectful. I will monitor my words and heart towards others. I will remember that I win, regardless of the score, with the PEOPLE around me; not with a volleyball. Players who keep a positive attitude, work towards solving problems, and love the game, win…. regardless of the scoreboard.
- Behavior. I will conduct myself in a manner that builds my personal reputation as a great team player that brings respect to the image of DIGS. I will avoid using profanity.
- Gratefulness. I will honor my parents for the gift they are providing me. I will thank my parents for their sacrifice of time and money. I will respect my parents and coaches with my behavior and attitude at home, at practice, and on the court.
- Time Management. I will wisely manage my time to meet the responsibilities of school, my homework, and other personal areas. I do this because I understand that I have committed to participate in DIGS practices and tournaments. This means I need to plan my life well, talk with my parents about my schedule, and ask for help if it is needed.
- Attendance. I will do my best to attend every practice, tournament, and team function. If I am unable to attend, I will personally notify my coach ahead of time, with a written note, text or email. I understand that by not attending all practices, tournaments, or team functions I may face a penalty at the coach’s discretion such as loss of playing time.
- Readiness. I will be at practice 15 minutes early, with all of my gear, having had a snack before practice to sustain my energy. It is my responsibility to keep my parents on-time and informed. I will be the first to help set up nets, grab the ball cart, and be ready for my coach.
- Spirituality. I recognize that spiritual practices such as church attendance provides practical and relevant wisdom for my life. I will engage in devotional life by reading my Bible, praying, and listening to music that builds my faith.
- Physical Conditioning. I understand that I need to get adequate sleep, eat healthy foods that fuel my body, and follow the conditioning plan provided by my coach. I will not use alcohol, tobacco, vaping, or illegal drugs. If I am caught using any of these substances, I may be dismissed from the program. Upon release, all remaining club fees will be due within two weeks.
- Communication. I will monitor my self-talk (the conversation in my head), and the way I talk to my teammates. I will speak positively and keep criticism to myself. I will eliminate words like don’t, can’t, won’t, try, but, and other words that weaken me and my team. I will personally communicate with my coach if I have any questions regarding my team, position, or playing time.
- Coachability. I will chose to believe that my coach is for me, and trying to create the best results with my team. I will chose to play with my full effort and intensity to the best of my ability in all practices and tournaments.
- Learning. I understand that learning new skills takes time and practice. Everyone, including myself, is a work in progress. I will get better. I will chose to celebrate, even when I am not perfect, because that is what it takes to get better. It’s true that I may fail, but I’m NEVER a failure. It’s just part of the process of learning. I will learn from my mistakes and not make excuses or lay blame.
- Leadership. I desire to be a part of something bigger than myself. That is why I am on a team. Teams are made up of imperfect people, including me. I chose to believe in my teammates and their capabilities. I chose to have passion for my sport and compassion for my teammates. I desire to be a leader both on and off the court.
- I will be on time.
- I will not use my phone during practice or tournaments unless given permission.
- I will be a friend and be friendly to my teammates. I will not exclude others.
- I will follow safety instructions.
- I will listen and be quiet if my coach is talking.
- I will help set up and tear down practice nets.
- I will communicate with my coach if I have questions or concerns.
- I will notify my coach as soon as possible if I am sick or unable to participate.
I give permission for my child to participate in DIGS Volleyball Club. We discussed the risks, commitments, and sacrifices involved and are committed to contributing to the success of the program. I understand and accept these commitments with the following in mind:
- Trusting Coaches. I understand that team selections are made by a group of experienced coaches. I trust their collective judgment and will support my child and the team.
- Leadership and Play. I understand that it is primarily the coach’s responsibility to lead the players and team. I understand that it is ultimately a coach’s decision about who should be playing, when, and how. No player is guaranteed a set amount of playing time.
- Resolving Issues. I understand that if my child experiences any issues with her team or teammates, she is first personally responsible to discuss the issue with her coach. If the issue is not then resolved, only then may I may schedule a time to talk with a coach.
- If there is an important issue on the court or regarding my child in a game, I will allow my child to advocate for herself and speak to the coach regarding the matter to build this life skill. I will wait 24 hours before talking to a coach or Club Director about it.
- Remaining Positive. I understand that I will withhold any negative comments directed towards players and coaches when I am in the bleachers. If I have any concerns I will speak directly with the coach or Club Director.
- Being on Time. I understand that start times are important for practices and tournaments. I will assist my player with being on-time.
- Involuntary Release. I understand that any player using illegal drugs, tobacco or alcohol will be immediately released from the club.
- Voluntary Release. I understand that I have the ability to talk about concerns with the club director. If I do not agree with coaching style or decisions made by DIGS, I may withdraw my athlete at any time during the season, but I will not receive a refund.
- Finances. I will fulfill my financial obligations to DIGS. Upon voluntary or involuntary release from the club, all remaining club fees will be due within two weeks. There will be a $35 fee for insufficient funds (returned checks) due from parents.
- Role Model. I am a role model and example with my words and behavior. I will do my best to encourage every player because they are all someone’s treasured daughter.